Thursday, October 11, 2007

Death and airports

Today I flew with my family to Florida on vacation. As we were getting ready for take-off, I was gripped with fear for a second. My Pastor tells me all the time that flying is safer than driving. So, why don't I feel that way? Besides the fact that the terminology they use in airports is morbid (ie. terminal... departure...) I also attribute this to the the idea that we as humans aren't comfortable if we are not in control. Such is the problem with people committing their lives to Christ. The idea of handing the reigns of life over to God scares some people. But, as we were making our final decent (see there's one of those morbid words again) into Orlando and I heard the Captain say we were landing, a sense of relief came over me. I realized that my life was in the hands of someone who had been through this very same thing time and time again. What would happen if we could get people to think about following Christ the same way? He's been through it. He's experienced more than we ever would. Why can't we just relax, enojy the flight and let Him take control and help us to our destinations. Think about it.

2 comments:

Clay said...

and did you look at the safety card in the seatback pocket in front of you? they appear so happy as they're putting on their lifejackets.

Josh Helm Today said...

This is a funny way of looking at the play on words at the airport. Enjoyed your post. Blessings to you and your family. I hope you have a great vacation.

Josh