Sunday, November 25, 2007

My Best Friend

Friday, I had lunch with my high school best friend, Kevin. I haven't seen him in about 3 years, so needless to say, we had a lot to catch up on. It's been almost 13 years since we graduated. We grew up together in the same church and spent the night at each other's houses every weekend for years. As I was talking with him, I began to remember all the trouble we use to cause. The following is a short list of things we did to wreck havack on others from age 13-18:
1. At age 14, we filled up an empty plastic bread bag with water, tied it up and dropped it 5 stories onto a limousine roof in Gatlinburg, TN. As we let it go, the bride and groom inside the limo stepped out of the car.
2. When we were 15, we were lighting off bottle rockets at New Years. We decided to put the rockets in the bottle upside down. Blew up the bottle and shards of glass went into the swimming pool. Kevin held my feet while I went head first into the pool to fish out the glass. It was about 10 degrees that year on January 1st. We didn't get all the glass out and his parents had to have the liner replaced that Summer. They still say I owe them half of what that cost.
3. Went muddin' in Kevin's '73 VW Beetle. Got it so covered in mud, the cops pulled us over for driving a dangerous motor vehicle.
4. Senior year, 1995, Kevin and I orchestrated a toga party day at school. We got about 25-30 people to join us on the day we got our cap and gowns. We all got called into the office and repremanded. They made us remove the togas. THE PROBLEM: Kevin didn't wear anything but his boxers underneath his toga. He was sent home.
5. Same year, we signed up for Floral Design class just so we'd be able to be in a class full of girls. THE PROBLEM: 20 other guys had the same idea.
6. Freshman year, we found each of our Dad's old... and I do mean old, golf clubs. With no lesson and no instructions, we played our first round of golf. Been playing ever since.
7. Junior year, after catching his VW on fire, he bought an old Ford 150. It was orange and white. He lived on a hill and the guy he bought the truck from failed to inform him that the e-brake was no longer functional. As soon as Kevin shut the door on the truck, it rolled down his driveway, rolled through a mailbox, bounced off of a tree and stopped in the living room of his next door neighbor.
8. We recorded ourselves reenacting Coolio's Fantastic Voyage video for an English assignment. If you have ever seen the video, you'll understand this. We put the camera facing the trunk of my car and we would go into the back seat and crawl out of the trunk. We would dress differnet everytime we did it so it looked like their was about 30 people crawling out of the trunk. Trust me, it was very humerous and got us a standing ovation and an A+ on the project.

We had some good times. I was blessed to have Kevin as my friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! I can remember some crazythings me and my friends did back in high school. Now I am like "What was I thinking?"

Tammy H.