Friday, November 23, 2007

Guilt

This week I have been in the town I grew up in... Warner Robins, Georgia. I was at a restaurant when I met an old friend from high school. Haven't seen him in 12+ years. We both have families of our own of which we both were bragging. It amazes me how people's countenance changes when they find out what I do for a living. This guy informs me of what he does for a living. He then asks me the infamous question... "what do you do?" As soon as the words, "I'm a pastor" leave my lips, you can see the blood drain from his face. Unfortunately, this is not the first time this has occurred, so I am use to it. After a few seconds of stammering, this friend begins telling me how he use to go church, but can't now because he has to work. He goes on to tell me that he tries to be an inspiration for those around him. I never asked him what church he goes to or "how's your walk with God been lately?" It's amazing to me how guilt or conviction transforms people's conversation. I never condemned and I never said a word to make him feel bad about the way things were going in his life. I hope things change for him. I hope I made that difference. (More to come later on this blog about this trip to Georgia.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude...

that happens with us...

i was at a thanksgiving dinner the other night and people asked what i was studying in college, and i was like i'm gonna be a pastor...and you're right; everything changes...

it's odd...

Clay said...

guilt makes people do weird things.

Anonymous said...

What are you guilty of?

Anonymous said...

I feel like your blog is hiding a dark secret

will you answer the question? what are you guilty of?